Tip: Life is simply a series of mid-course corrections!


Most of us are interested in consistently making wise decisions. The better decisions you make, the better the results you will attain. That is true in every area of life.

I love the joke I once heard about the young man who asked an older gentleman how he became so successful. The older man responded, “By making good decisions.” The younger man then asked, “How did you learn to make good decisions?” The older man replied, “By making bad decisions!” That story illustrates my point well.

I once read that the space shuttle program was nothing more than a series of in-flight corrections. Of all the data in the hands of the scientists, technicians, experts, and pilots at the time of the shuttle launch, only 8% of the trip remained unchanged during flight. The other 92% was constantly changing. The weather, wind, and other unknown variables, accounted for the constant corrections that had to take place for the spacecraft to successfully complete its mission.

It is not only true for a spacecraft it is also true for any airplane flight. A lot can go wrong on each trip. Yet, each time an airplane takes off, we risk millions of dollars and the lives of the crew and passengers in order to get people where they want to go. Is it worth it? Evidently, we believe it is. The fact that we are willing to take that kind of chance illustrates to me that we have many professional people in place who know how to make the necessary in-flight corrections.

Think about how this applies to personal relationships and business. We all make mistakes. A former colleague of mine once said, “The mark of a great person is not that they never make a mistake; it is what they do once they realize they have made a mistake.” Anyone can blame others for their mistakes. However, when a person realizes what they have done and steps up to the bar and takes their “lick” for the mistake they made, it is then that they will grow past their mistake and become even more successful. It is only the “bigger person” who is willing to do that.

I am sure you have heard the old saying, “Nothing ventured; nothing gained.” That is true in almost any endeavor in life. Mistakes are destined to come our way, but what we do when we realize we have made a mistake is what will determine how well we do in life. I once knew an individual who found it difficult to make a decision for fear that he might make the wrong one. It has cost him dearly in his life opportunities and personal relationships. I believe it is much safer to step out and try, even if you fail, than to never try at all.

I would be willing to bet that everyone reading this article knows how to ride a bicycle. Do you remember how you learned to do that? You got on, rode for a few feet, and fell off. Then you repeated that process until finally you were able to get on it and ride down the street without falling. That is the way you learn to ride a bicycle…by trial and error. You simply must make a series of mid-course corrections as you are learning how to do it. But in the end, it becomes part of you and becomes a skill you have for the rest of your life. The same thing is true for roller skating and many other activities in life!

This week venture out a little and realize you that while you might make a mistake, you can learn from it. It will become part of the experience of life which will ultimately help you succeed in all that you do.

Tip: Life is simply a series of mid-course corrections!

Have a great week! God bless you!

Dr. Robert A. Rohm

Dr. Robert A. Rohm, Ph.D.

Dr. Robert A. Rohm, Ph.D.

Top selling author and speaker, Robert Rohm Ph.D. is founder of Personality Insights Inc. and The Robert Rohm Co. As you will see, Dr. Rohm specializes in helping people better understand themselves and others.