skip to Main Content

Tip: Life is simply a series of corrections

Most of us are interested in consistently making wise decisions. Someone once said that the better decisions you make, the better the results you will attain. That is true in almost every area of life.

I love the joke I once heard about the young man who asked an older gentleman how he became so successful. The older man responded, “By making wise decisions.” The younger man then asked, “How did you learn to make wise decisions?” The older man replied, “By making unwise decisions!” That story illustrates my point well.

I once read that the space shuttle program was nothing more than a series of in-flight corrections. Of all the data in the hands of the scientists, technicians, experts, and pilots at the time of the shuttle launch, only about 8% of it remained unchanged during flight. The other 92% was constantly changing. The weather, wind, and other variables, all accounted for the constant corrections that must take place for the spacecraft to successfully complete its mission.

It is not only true for a spacecraft it is also true for any airplane. A lot can go wrong on each flight. Yet, each time an airplane takes off, we risk millions of dollars and the lives of all of the crew and passengers in order to get people where they want to go. Is it worth it? Evidently we believe it is. The fact that we are willing to take that kind of chance illustrates to me that we have many professional people in place who know how to make the necessary in-flight corrections.

Think about how this applies to personal relationships and business. We all make mistakes. A former colleague of mine once said, “The mark of a great person is not that they never make a mistake; it is what they do once they realize they have made a mistake.” Anyone can blame others for their mistakes. However, when a person realizes what they have done and steps up to the bar and takes their “lick” for the mistake they made, it is then that they will grow past their mistake and become even more successful. It is a “bigger person” who is willing to do that.

I am sure you have heard the old saying, “Nothing ventured; nothing gained.” That is true in almost any endeavor in life. Mistakes are destined to come our way, but what we do when we realize we have made a mistake is what will determine how well we do in life. I once knew an individual who found it difficult to make a decision for fear that he might make the wrong one. It has cost him dearly in his life and relationships. I believe it is much safer to step out and try, even if you fail, than to never try at all.

I would be willing to bet that everyone reading this article knows how to ride a bicycle. Do you remember how you learned to do that? You got on, rode for a few feet, and fell off. Then you repeated that process until finally you were able to get on it and ride down the street without falling. That is the way you learn to ride a bicycle…by trial and error. You simply have to make a series of mid-course corrections as you are learning how to do it. But in the end, it becomes part of you and becomes a skill you have for the rest of your life.

This week venture out a little and realize you that while you might make a mistake, you can learn from it. It will become part of the experience of life which will help you ultimately succeed in all that you do.

Tip: Life is simply a series of corrections

Have a great week! God bless you!

Dr. Robert A. Rohm

The following two tabs change content below.

Robert Rohm

Top selling author and speaker, Robert Rohm Ph.D. is founder of Personality Insights Inc. and The Robert Rohm Co. As you will see, Dr. Rohm specializes in helping people better understand themselves and others.

Latest posts by Robert Rohm (see all)

Robert Rohm

Top selling author and speaker, Robert Rohm Ph.D. is founder of Personality Insights Inc. and The Robert Rohm Co. As you will see, Dr. Rohm specializes in helping people better understand themselves and others.

Back To Top