I often hear people talking about the importance of setting goals for their personal life.…
Tip of the Week
Tip: Be a pencil!
A good while ago, my friend Andy Pipas shared a story that really touched my life. It was a very simple message, yet I have come to realize that some of the most profound things I have learned in my life are simple in nature. When I can understand something, I know I will be able to apply it. I think that’s true of most of us. The story is called The Parable of the Pencil.
A pencil maker always took a pencil aside before passing him along to a student. “There are 5 important things you need to know before I send you out into the world,” he told each pencil. “Remember these tips and you will become the best pencil you can be!”
1. You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be guided by someone else.
2. You will experience an uncomfortable sharpening from time to time, but it will help you to become a better pencil.
3. You have the ability, because of your eraser, to correct any mistakes you might make.
4. The most important part of you will always be what is on the inside.
5. You must leave your mark on every surface upon which you are used.
The pencil understood and went forward, excited to share his purpose with an eager student.
We are all like pencils in many ways. At least one, if not all five of the simple truths found in this parable are needed in our daily life. Choose from the list today and enjoy moving forward with excitement and purpose in whatever you do!
Isn’t that a great story? Again I want to thank Andy for sharing it with me many years ago. It is something I think about often. I hope you will find a great use for this parable this week, not only as you share it with your family, friends and business associates, but also as you use it and apply it in your own personal life.
Tip: Be a pencil!
Have a great week! God bless you!
Dr. Robert A. Rohm