The story is told of a business man who was on a trip. After traveling for a while, he realized that he had gotten off course and suddenly felt very lost. He pulled into a service station to see if he could get some help. He told the old timer running the service station that he was lost and asked for assistance. The elderly gentleman behind the counter smiled and said, “Well, let me ask you a couple of questions. ‘Do you know where you started your trip?’” The man answered, “Of course I do.” Then the old timer asked, “Do you know where you want to end up?” “Yes, I know that too,” the man said. Then the wise old man replied, “In that case, you are not lost! You just need some directions!”
There is a lot of truth in that story! We may often feel lost and confused about what we are doing, but the truth is that we are better off than we realize. Most of us know where we began our journey and what we dreamed of doing with our lives. Somewhere along the way, however, we may have gotten off track. We may be on a road that we did not intend to travel down, and now feel a little uncomfortable. We think we are lost. We know where we want to end up, but we just don’t know how to get there. In truth, all we need are some directions and I want to share where you can go to get them.
1. Find a mentor - Look for someone who is older and wiser and has traveled the road ahead of you - someone who has more experience than you do. They will be able to help you along the way.
Someone once said that if you are the smartest person in your group, you need to find a new group! It is important to have people in your life who stretch and challenge you. A good mentor will do just that.
2. Seek advice - Talk to someone who is doing what you want to do.
I believe I have shared this with you before, but it is a great example of what I am talking about. When I was in high school I wanted to be a dentist, so one day, after a dental appointment, I talked to Dr. Henry Gold, who was our dentist and family friend. To my surprise, he said, “You do not want to do this! If I had it to do over again, this is not what I would have chosen to do. I spend all day long looking in people’s mouths, smelling their bad breath, and trying to get them to pay me! It is no fun at all.”
I am grateful for Dr. Gold sharing that with me. He was right…that was not what I wanted to do with my life. It would not have been a good fit for me.
3. Realize that much of life is trial and error - When we make a mistake, it does not need to be final. I believe this statement is true; “Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn.” I honestly believe that every mistake I have ever made has caused me to get back on track and get closer to my destination.
4. Seek spiritual guidance - What I mean by that is, realize that there is one who is greater than yourself who wants to guide you and help you. Your life is not an accident and you are not some vague generality wondering around in a meaningless universe, wasting time. You are special. There is no one quite like you and you are being guided whether you realize it or not.
Some may consider that they have gotten where they are because of luck or coincidence. However, someone once said that a coincidence is when God is at work, but chooses to remain anonymous. I like that definition and I believe it is true!
5. Recognize that it is never too late - This may be the most important of all!
I recently heard about a 70 year old lady who is not only going back to school, but is getting her real estate license. She believes this is a great time to get an education and be prepared for when things turn around in the housing market. See what I mean? Her attitude is the key ingredient to the success she wants to experience. She is not down in life. On the contrary; she is up on life and the next opportunity that will come her way.
There you have 5 incredible tips that will give you unusual success. I have found that they have helped me stay on the journey and give me the direction I am looking for to bring me to the desired destination. Our intention alone will not take us where we want to go in life; we must be headed in the right direction because direction determines destination. Hopefully these 5 keys will keep you on the right path to get you to the desired destination and to experience the success you want in life. They certainly are helping me!
Tip: 5 keys for unusual success!
Have a great week! God bless you!
Dr. Robert A. Rohm